Monday, November 16, 2009

Pinole





This was our bike fit clinic...where the pro's go through and make sure everything is balanced and adjusted properly.










This was our equipment assessment clinic. My riding buddy, Sally is sporting the latest in cyling gear... and looking like she doesn't want her picture taken...smile!






This was my first Saturday morning of many to come, where I was up early fueling my body, loading my equipment & preparing myself to meet up with my teammates in the Bay Area location of the day. The agenda for today was about informational clinics, assessments of our bike, equipment and ourselves by having us do a 10 mile time trial...known as the sorting ride. It was a fast paced day...not counting my personal cycling time (44 minutes). This is a great life lesson for a control freak like me...to be completely open and vulnerable to this unknown program and training process.

After getting ran through clinics, I was hurried out onto the route to ride my time trial. It was quickly apparent to me, what a newbie I was to cycling. I rolled down this unfamiliar road with traffic just inches away from me & B (what I call my bike) as we tried to find our synergy as one unit....unaware of what was ahead. Since I do not have a full understanding of my gears...I watched my group pulling away from me as we reached our first incline. The first 5 miles was gentle inclines but to me (a cycling flat lander), they were hills. As I struggled along...the slow & steady tortoise that I was...I continued to be passed by other cyclist, which made me feel even more inept.

My close-call of the day occurred mid-way through my ride, when I almost had an unfortunate situation with a very aggressive driver at a merging junction. I was very winded, getting directed through the intersection when this tortoise found a momentary rabbits pace as I could hear an engine racing uncomfortable close to me. In spite of looking to see that I was clear to continue...the motorist had other ideas...yikes!

Throughout the ride, my teammates were very encouraging as they passed me and finally watched me roll in to the finish line. I was very aware by the time it took me to finish the route, that I have a lot of room for improvement. After the last of our group finished their time trial...we rallied for our team cheer.

It was a productive and safe day and we were all thankful, as well as the fact that we survived our first day together. At one point, I heard our head coach state...after the encouraging words... "next week the real training begins!" It was funny, since he said in such an all knowing way...like The Great Wizard of Team in Training..."just ignore the man behind the curtain"...haha!

After today...I now know that I need to up my endurance and strength on the bike. Next week is a 20 miles ride in Marin County. Fingers crossed that this nice weather continues for next week's ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment