Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Equipment

After an assessment on Saturday with TNT and input from friends that I rode with on Sunday...I needed new clips & cleats. I went to a bike shop that I was referred to and they gave me a tutorial on what I had, which was an older racing set up. They made recommendations based on current products that would work for my type of riding. After trying out different equipment...I found I also needed different shoes...with a gulp and a grimace, I handed over my credit card, hoping that I was making the right decision (it is hard to know trying them out in a shop).

Yesterday was my first opportunity to try them out...a teammate from TNT and I got together for a morning ride. The shoes looked and felt good...and I could actually walk in them! I got on the bike and rode around a small area to feel out the clips before heading out onto the roads. Within seconds...I knew I made the right decision:) Other than the very brisk autumn weather...we had a great ride. My new equipment was a welcomed change. It made my riding experience much more enjoyable due to the ease of clipping in and out...however I am still getting use to the position of my foot clipping in.

My old equipment took all of my leg strength to release my foot...even after many adjustments it never improved much. There were also a couple instances that the old cleats would not release and had caused a couple falls in the past. I was always fearful that in a quick stop situation whether I could get my foot out in time.

There are ample things to purchase and upgrade for cycling but since this was a safety issue...it needed to happen right away. My next challenge (other than becoming a better rider) is nutrition and the right gear to stay warm & dry for cycling in the winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment