Sunday, November 22, 2009

Novato





Me and my carpooling buddy, arriving early for our next adventure in Marin County.








It was a very cold...crack the car doors open type morning! During my early morning load up, I couldn't help but wonder if I got everything and if I was bringing the right gear to stay warm for the days ride. My drive to meet up with my carpool buddy, was very enjoyable as I watched the dark blue sky transform into a beautiful morning.

In Novato, everyone was hurrying to get their equipment ready and fit in a bathroom break before our 8:30 start time. We were informed of the coaches we would be riding with for the day based on our previous time trial ride. After being briefed and introduced to our coach, we headed out on the route...a little later than any of us expected.


My plan was to start slowly and pace myself, I didn't want to burn myself out prematurely since I had no idea of the type of terrain and route we would be riding. One of the coaches took my strategy as looking like I needed assistance. I know I have a lot to learn...and I will share that shortly, but at this point I thought the assistance was premature. With the ongoing questions and information, he threw off my focus and pace...therefore slowing me away from the pack within the first few miles.

The motto with TNT is to "leave no one behind", it sounds like an old war film...haha! Therefore, the first coach (after peeling me away from my
group) set me up with another one. Had a nice ride until THE HILL. I saw the impending obstacle ahead with riders struggling up it. I gulped and continued on not knowing my strategy or if I could make it. As I approached and started my climb I noticed a rider ahead and since I seemed to stay in pace, I thought I was doing okay as I guessed my way through gears (big mistake).

Gears, gears, gears...ugh! I thought I had geared down as I pushed past the rider in front but my momentum was quickly slowing. I thought to myself..."what the hell, you suck at this sport"! I wanted to ask my coach but at this point I couldn't catch my breath enough to form a sentence. My legs and lungs were burning as I rounded the corner to see a turn-out with the roving SAG car and riders. I was determined to make it to them which was still only three-quarters up this hill. I was so very relieved to stop and catch my breath and find my legs. I was surprised to turn around and not see my coach behind me...where did he go?

The SAG driver informed me that I just came up that hill in my high gear not my low gear...OMG, what a dork I was! It was a surprising discovery for me and a relief to know that there was now hope I would make it to the top of the hill. After I hydrated and choked down some gooey gel type product (tasted like crap) to help my energy...I noticed my coach arrive. He was looking exhausted but continued to be encouraging. I was a bit worried about him, but he was determined to continue on with me.

It amazed me how much easier the remainder of the hill was, when you find the right gear...haha! After turning around at the official SAG stop...more hydration and nutrition (one thing I did well today), I headed back with the first coach I rode with. The ride back was my opportunity to practice my gears and riding positions. Of course, there was a couple more unexpected stops on the way back to check on mechanical issues my bike was having. It wasn't anything that could cause me not to continue...we made adjustments and continued on.

It was a great feeling to hear my name as Sally cheered me into the finish. My body felt fit to continue but my mind needed a break from all the mental obstacles of the day. It was a longer (time-wise) and sometimes frustrating ride for me, do to a variety of things. I did learn a lot and in the process, will be better prepared for the next ride.

I did have some personal realizations during and after my ride. I am not only learning about cycling but myself through this process. One important discovery I made was...others that have been in or part of my life have chosen to give up but that is not how I am going to live as a cyclist or in life. Me and B are ready to roll to whatever comes next.


No comments:

Post a Comment