Saturday, May 5, 2012

Training Bank

The second half of our training season is here! The team is at the point where all our training efforts will be put the test (and in some cases, exposed) as we begin the series of triple digit distance rides. Beginning tomorrow with the Grizzly Peak Century (GPC), on the training calender as our team ride. An event that is not for the faint of heart...not as much the distance as for the climbing. Without the level of training I'm doing as part of the Death Ride Team, I wouldn't attempt this ride on my own.
GPC is a great opportunity to motivate and ride for myself. Having a role on my team as ride support makes it tough to monitor where I'm really at in my training. Most weeks are spent being there for everyone else but myself. I enjoy this event because it allows me to work on my time management and assessing where my training or lack of has me this season. This has been my most challenging season to train. I have a schedule that leaves me very little time and energy to get in the type of training that I have been used to in past seasons. In spite of doing well at the team ride thus far, I do worry that I'm doing enough to finish the season strong.
Past seasons I would hit the road during the week. This season I hit the trainer and DVDs, riding "B", my first bike...a vintage steel Bianchi that got me through my first 2 cycling seasons. I sweat and spin as many evenings as my schedule will allow. But is it enough? I also try to fit in some strength training and yoga...but most weeks that isn't happening. The balance of life to training ratio is a tricky one. In spite of my inner turmoil over my training regiment, I have been feeling strong on the road with the team. What I have in my training bank will tell the story tomorrow at GPC. For today, I hydrate, fuel up, stretch it out, rest and prepare for tomorrow's challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment