Monday, March 26, 2012

Pescadero Soak-Fest Ride


This photos shows how my morning began...dark and damp. Mentally, I keep telling myself that it would lessen once I got down to the peninsula. It did...temporarily. It lighten enough to coax me out of my warm vehicle and into my rain gear. Part of the draw was, this was a great ride that I enjoyed last year. I also knew that we were riding to promised artichoke bread in Pescadero!



Unfortunately, the conditions diminished as we rode...sprinkles to showers to rain and at times...a down pour! Descending La Honda West felt like tacks hitting my face...that's when I could still feel my face;-) When we rolled into Pescadero we dripped into a small store for momentary reprieve from the elements. No artichoke bread;-( Had only enough time to take off my 2 layers of rain soaked gloves (not easy), hit the bathroom and layer back up for the grueling climb back to our vehicles. For me, no time left to get anymore into me other than 2 chips offered by a teammate...everyone was rolling or already gone.



As I was rolling up Alpine, I realized I didn't have a chance to fill my water bottles! I decided to ride into McDonald Park to refill, as I caught the last of my group rolling out of sight. Oh well, I'm getting used to riding alone and I knew the way back. At this point it was more important to be prepared for the endless climbs ahead.



As the rain began to increase, I distracted myself with fond memories of my past teams (in much better weather) as we experienced these climbs. To my surprise my head coach and some teammates were waiting at the bottom of the Alpine junction to make sure no one missed the turn off. It was a nice feeling to not be forgotten.

My biggest fear for the day was still ahead...descending Page Mill in these worsening conditions. As I was watching the small rivers of water streaming across the road increasing...I knew this was going to be a careful and well calculated descent.

It actually became a frightening experience since I was so wet and cold at that point that my left hand completely lost feeling and function-ability! I was terrified and alone. I lucked out and found a slight incline to stop with just my rear brake (not recommended!) For safety reason I knew I needed to get off and walk until I could get my hand warmed up and working again. This is too much of a technical descent to chance it. My first walk ever on DR training...and its on a descent...really!?! At this moment I was asking myself "am I of my league to be riding with this team"? I was not in a good place mentally...but still moving forward.



After about a 3/4 of a mile I finally felt 2 fingers (so I could brake) and get back got on Willie, to coast down the remainder of the descent. Slowest descent ever!!! I felt like a dork but I wasn't giving up and giving in...it was up to me to get myself through this ride. Once I was riding back through flats and rollers I realized I couldn't shift my big rig (left hand issues again) to gain any speed..."and get this damn thing done"! SO FRUSTRATED! I was clearly the caboose of this ride with 4 miles to go, when I heard a voice call out to me? I thought "who the hell is still out here"?!? One of my teammate was waiting at the junction to ride back with me...I was thrilled to have the company! It was exactly what I needed to diminish the pity party playing in my head.

Happily we rolled into a small and very cold group of teammates waiting to cheer us in...success! I survived the soak-fest (aka sufferfest)! My prize for this accomplishment...sick-fest!I woke up with a cold the next morning:-( It was well earned:-0

This ride now surpasses last year's Palomares buddy ride, as most miserable! High on the humbling scale for me...Mother Nature was not my friend today.

No comments:

Post a Comment