Sunday, January 3, 2010

Rainy Morning in Sausalito

This was our first team ride, where we got to experience some wet conditions. They predicted cloudy weather but we got some unexpected sprinkles and mist (not bad) during the first part of the ride. I wasn't sure how I would feel about riding on the wet roads but I got over my apprehension quickly. Our route for the day was riding through southern Marin County...the view throughout the day were amazing but the experience of riding under and around the Golden Gate Bridge was truly memorable. I wasn't thrilled with the hill climb out of there but it was a challenge I would do again to ride in such a beautiful area.



The team was excited to have Sally back riding with us...she led the group pre-ride cheer.



Every ride is a unique experience and this one was no exception. As abilities change among the riders, our ride groups get shifted around. With the changes and absences I became the lone girl in my ride group...I was the great equalizer in a sea of testosterone.

Most of the ride we kept a great pace, until mechanical failures began midway through the ride...when Dave #2 got a flat tire (this season there are so many Dave's, it is hard to keep them straight...I have 2 just in my ride group). Of course, not long after 2 more flat tires happened...both of them mine! Yes, it finally happened...the dreaded flat tire! The first one happen as I was riding through Larkspur...however, I didn't notice it until after I was riding on it for about a mile. I was actually relieved it was flat...since, I started falling further behind my group and was confused why I was struggling so much. My first thought was, "I suck today"...haha! I thought this is how it must feels to lose energy and strength (bonking out). In the process of looking down and shifting through my gears, I finally noticed my very flat rear tire...whew, that was a relief...I thought I was going to get demoted to the tri-cycle league...haha!



It was frustrating for me and my team to watch some of the other groups pass us as we rushed through my tire change. My tools and bike pump worked great on there maiden voyage! I was also quickly informed by my ride group that I was no longer the virgin of the group (they thoroughly enjoyed tagging me with that)...since up until now I was the only one that hadn't had a flat tire.




Oh, what a difference an inflated tire makes...as I was enjoying the ease at which my bike was moving, I zoomed to the front of the pack! Of course, my elation was short lived...as we were heading up Camino Alto (curvy grade), I heard a strange noise coming from my back tire...another flat...oh, crap! The guys were equally excited by my news...but what could we do, but laugh. The second flat was much more impressive...we pulled a metal staple out of my tube. Thankfully "flat tire" Dave #1 is a mobile bike shop and I was able to get another tube from him (thank you again, Dave)...since I already used my back-up tube for the day.



The remainder of the ride went by without incident. In spite, of all of our delays (damn girl...haha) we weren't the last group back. We did return to a very high tide, that we were warned about the night before (we were glad we brought the truck for this ride). After the ride, the team got together for lunch...which allowed the water to recede and enabled us to get our vehicles out easier.


Okay, so the day in review of new my experiences...Sally is back, riding in wet conditions, Golden Gate Bridge, not one but two flat tires and learning about the Ass-o-meter (yes, that is what they called it). Everyday ride is always a learning experience!




No comments:

Post a Comment