Wednesday, January 13, 2010

B's Tough Training Week

So far this week me and "B" (aka the bike) have been out for recovery and training rides three times since the tough team ride. Sunday we headed out to loosen up my legs and try out the responsiveness (or lack there of) with the gears and derailleur...since they caused some problems on Saturday. Of course, everything performed okay under normal conditions on our 17 mile recovery ride...shifted smoothly.

On Monday's ride, we decided to do some hill work, in the Walnut Creek area. The bike was feeling better than I was...it was freezing cold and that didn't help getting my muscles motivated for the hills! Heading up a slight grade, while shifting down to my small ring...I dropped my chain...crap! Fortunately, there was a nice wide shoulder to work on the bike. However, it was me and Sally fumbling through trying to get the chain on...neither of us are mechanically inclined...haha! Luckily, a cyclist from Illinois (in town visiting friends) caught the site of us, looking very confused, covered in grease on the side of the road and thankfully took pity in us and helped us out.

We finished our route after getting B back together but I was apprehensive about down shifting the rest of the ride. This is the second time I have dropped a chain and I am losing my confidence in B's reliability. I am nervous that one of these times I am going to go down (possibly into a car)...if this keeps happening. I have gotten a lot opinions about the shifting issues but no solutions so far. Trying to get in training is tough enough...but adding in the amount of bike maintenance B has needed lately, is becoming a time consuming component that I did not plan on.

On today's ride our biggest concern was the weather...as we stood in the parking lot with rain drops falling on us. Since it was light rain, we ventured out onto the wet roads...I got my first experience of the feel of water spraying up my back...not pleasant!

We were happy the rain didn't last long and when we got into Alamo, the sun was actually appearing between the clouds...yeah! We were having a nice ride and exploring new roads to add into our training. B was doing very well until Camino Tassajara and then his gears started missing as I was trying to downshift. I was finally able to get him into a gear and continue but my mind was racing with worse case scenarios in regards to shifting. Suddenly, that all changed as I looked down to notice my flat rear tire...are you frickin' kidding me! So it was just me, Sally and a flat tire...this should be interesting considering how well we did with the chain on Monday! As I set B up for his tire change...Sally felt the best decision was for her to ride to the car (only a couple miles away at the time) and come back and bring me & B to the bike shop to fix the tire.

So as I am standing safely on the side of the road (sidewalk) with B...talking on my cellphone (got a business call)...a guy stopped to help. I mentioned I was waiting for a friend to come back to help me get my flat repaired, but he was willing to stay and help me change it anyway. He was a cyclist who rode for Team Taleo (read his jersey), named Matt (BTW...he was very cute and funny...and not a boy). Anyway, focus...back to the tire changing...he talked me through the process and gave me some really good advice and tips. I was actually changing my own tire! Sally called during the process and I let her know I had someone helping me. She was thrilled that the tire was getting changed and pissed that she rode all the way back to the car (loaded up her bike) and now had to come back and continue riding!

The rest of our ride was problem free and the weather became beautiful! It was 62 degrees and mainly sunny...have not seen that in awhile. Training in the winter is always unpredictable...we have gotten lucky to be able to find time to ride between the storms. This week is only halfway through and it has been an adventure with my mechanical issues. So it will be back to the bike shop, for supplies and more servicing before this Saturday's ride...cha-ching!

No comments:

Post a Comment