Monday, December 7, 2009

Winter is Here!


With my riding partner on hiatus, while she is recovery from her accident...it was up to me to keep myself on a training schedule. Unfortunately, I don't have a cycling trainer (an apparatus to hook your bike into, so you can be indoors to get in a cycle workout) which means I needed to get out on the roads.

I layered myself in every article of cycle clothing that I had...I looked like the kid from the movie, A Christmas Story. This was my first ride in my full gloves and rain jacket...but I needed to be prepared and warm. I headed out slowly to start warming up my body but the icy breeze hitting my face and penetrating my full leggings made me anything but warm. I mapped out a short ride with hills to get in a strong workout and hopefully get home before any foul weather hit.

I got the opportunity to test out my bike and myself on the wet roads. I have to say...I didn't like it! As I rode, I cherished any bit of sun that would break through the clouds and lessen the chill. When I was riding the downhill portions, I was wondering how the wet roads would effect my braking ability...so I left the brakes alone as much as possible. I did take the opportunity to practice my hand positions... and I am still not feeling comfortable in my drops.

The extremely cold weather was incentive to keep the pace quick. I noticed a few bewildered looks of passing motorist, that must have been thinking, "she is either very committed or should be committed for riding in this weather"...haha! I must add that riding today wasn't my first choice, but my schedule wasn't going to allow me to get on the bike again until Friday.

I was happy to have survived the wet roads on my cold weather adventure. As I arrived back home, I welcomed the warmth of my garage. However, I soon found that in spite of the full gloves, wool socks and full coverage booties...I could not feel my fingers or toes and they were bright red...not good! I quickly went inside to warm up and found the warm shower to be a painful experience, as the feeling very slowly began to come back...yikes! For those that don't know me...its a big deal for me to choose to ride in today's conditions......since I do not like cold weather! It has been an hour and a half and I still haven't completely warmed up....burr! After this ride, I am definitely putting a cycling trainer on my list for Santa.




No comments:

Post a Comment