Friday, December 18, 2009

What team am I training for?

Last night was another strength and conditioning workout. Thankfully the weather was much warmer...and I wasn't working out with 3 layers of clothing. As usual, the cycle team was combined with the triathlon (tri) team. They had a lot more people at this workout than we did...probably 3 times more.

Since coach Wayne wasn't in attendance, we were at the mercy of the very well-motivated tri coaches. I quickly noticed that the pace and difficulty level was increased over previous workouts. We also had a lot more track time. In addition to our normal warm up workout on the track, we were asked to do 2 laps between each set of strength exercises. The coaches informed me that I needed to update my running shoes before the next workout for better support. Cha-ching...another expense that I didn't anticipate but they were right...my shoes were over 2 years old and were not purchased with the idea that I would actually run in them! Wow...has my life changed, buying running shoes for running...interesting concept...haha!

Between all my personal grumbling, I surprised myself by running around the track with the tri coach (who is also a personal trainer...and a tough one). I was so busy talking with her that I didn't realize that I had ran the entire way around! I found that I was able to do it not once, but twice...that is a HUGE accomplishment for me! My arthritic, pieced together body has not attempted that since I was in junior high.

The last part of the workout was a 20 minute run around the track to get a baseline for all of us...I was hoping it was just for the tri team. Really...cycle too? This is why I ride a bike...this body was not built to run for any distance...obviously, they didn't get the memo...haha! Since I had already hit my personal Olympic pace earlier (by actually running)...I knew that I needed to be more conservative to last 20 minutes. I took a run/walk pace...which was more walking than running. I have bad shoes and no technique but I made it through.

During stretching (my favorite part) and cool down...my body was feeling it had been pushed. I was pleased that my cardio was good and there was no joint pain involved (which I really expected) in spite of the impact of running on this rickety body. Just for the record...I have re-discovered, I still do not enjoy running:) Another workout survived...hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment