Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Ups & Downs of Pleasant Hill

Leading up to our Saturday team ride, I put in a lot of extra effort, since I was disappointed in how my last team ride played out. I went out this week and rode two confidence building, hilly rides, one was 10 miles and the other was 25 miles. Without the pressure of riding with a group I could push and pace myself while I found the rhythm with my B (aka the bike). I also upped my workout time at the gym.

I began to see some results at our Thursday night strength and conditioning workout. I discovered I have good core strength and felt my cardio improving a little. So I was feeling stronger in general and was curious to assess my cycling amongst the group on our team ride. I needed to prove something to myself and to a coach that I felt assessed me inaccurately early on in the program.

Saturday morning was clear and cold but a good cycling day. As we were waiting for our coaching assignments, I found out that I was being
juggled between coaches. My mentor finally pulled me into a group with him...he knew I was doing much better than perceived and has been a big part of my growth as a cyclist. The day was not only focused on the 26 mile loop but on a tire changing clinic and riding as a cohesive group.

As we started out on the road I immediately felt a comfort and confidence with B. I could tell as we went along that I was a stronger rider and many times I was riding near the front of the pack. At one point, I was up in front riding and talking with Christian (a strong and quick cyclist in our group). It was a hilly ride and I encountered my first very steep, curvy and long downhill grade...I found myself riding it instead of worrying about it! My added difficulty level to descending the hill at high speed, was my head band was falling down over my eyes...I do not recommend this!

Once we hit the SAG stop and refueled, we began our tire changing clinic. While we were there, the SAG sped off to attend to a rider who went down on the hill...our hearts sank with concern. My mind raced knowing my friend (in another ride group) was timid with hills and I hoping it wasn't her. We all focused on our task at hand and had to continue on with our ride.

On the second half of the ride we encountered some interesting road conditions as we rode a section of closed road. Our road bike tackled a lot of gravel, weeds, fischers wider than our tires and dirt road sections.

After the group got turned around in Martinez...they found out my usefulness, as I led them back on route to Pleasant Hill. Today I finally got the opportunity to ride the way I knew I could and have ridden when I have been on my own. As my cardio and strength are building, I am enjoying the freedom to move around and through the group as needed. It was the first ride where I felt like I was part of a team.

We had a great ride (my redemption), but reality hit after our post ride meeting when I was told my riding buddy was indeed the person that fell and was transported to the hospital. I was overwhelmed with worry and concern about her physical and emotional well-being. Coach Wayne gave me an immediate update as he was getting it from the hospital. It was quickly determined that Mustang (her bike) would come home with me. I saw the damage and road rash on the bike...I could only imagine how terrifying it must have been.

Concern for her was the talk of the honoree potluck...the coach shared his updates with the team. I also began to get text messages from her, to share with her mentor and coach. We all know the risks and dangers of cycling...but this was a big reality check. She was incredibly lucky that her accident and injuries weren't worse...or God forbid, fatal. Coach Jim stated that she had angels looking out for her to land where she did...in a soft pile of leaves. Hopefully those angels stay with our team, and keep us safe as we roll on to the Solvang Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment