Sunday, February 6, 2011

Here we go...ride #1



The first ride of the season always goes through Pinole. Its a fast-paced day of clinics and a timed sorting ride to determine the ride groups for the season.

For newbie participants it is an overwhelming deluge of information. It becomes home-coming week for the staff and alumni. The spring season has two cycle teams, Death Ride and Tahoe/STP and they are combined for the clinics, so the socializing was times two.

After 2 hours of clinics...ugh, we were split up into ride group based on our self-professed abilities. I quickly stepped up to be in the turtle group. It was obvious I was in the minority of the team...we were only 4 people.



This was unlike my previous team sorting rides of a rolling 12 mile out & back...we had the challenge of a 30 mile climbing loop! We headed out in groups and everyone quickly spread out. It was very apparent with this team that I was riding out of my league.

I would best describe the bulk of my teammates as gazelle/mountain goat hybrids. Its amazing to watch them effortlessly ascend the hills and speed away from me on the flats. I aspire to be half that good by the end of this season.

In spite of riding at the end of the pack all day, I had a great ride. Well, the flat tire wasn't too fun...haha! However, the weather was gorgeous, my ride company was entertaining and my ride average (with all that hill climbing) was a personal best of 12 mph.

I'm just taking one week at a time and my goal isn't speed but finishing each time. My hope is I will improve each week, as will the rest of the team. Therefore, I will likely retain my turtle status throughout this season...hopefully, smiling all the way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment